Sometimes I feel like nothing I say is making a difference in my kids' lives and that the things that I do or fail to do are making a bigger difference, for better or for worse. In spite of my failures and shortcomings, prayer is one of the constants in our life and our kids' lives. So I have to share how immediate God is in answering our prayers sometimes. I prayed yesterday in church that we would see evidence of the Holy Spirit in Kyle in a real and visual way, in a way that would compel me to praise Him and give glory to Him.
We have been rewarding Kyle with dollars (pretend money) when he exhibits patience, a good attitude, self-control, obedience, etc. It is very motivating for him and really helps him stay focused and helps him change his behavior when we remind him of the reward when he obeys and practices self-control or shows kindness to us and Makenna. He then saves up the money and goes shopping in my store which has items in it worth $10. It takes several days to save up the money and we also take money away as a consequence to unacceptable behavior.
So last night when I was putting him to bed and we were saying his prayers, he prayed for the first time in thanksgiving for David and me. That just melts away all those undesirable times, you know? Then he thanked Jesus for 'being good and shopping.' What he meant was thanksgiving that he was good and got to go shopping. So I reminded him how Jesus loves it when our hearts want to please him and when we do things that bring joy to him and others. He then said, "I know--that's why I thanked him." Sigh...he's finally getting it. Those are the things that help me grow my compassion for him as I watch him develop the fruits of the Spirit. It is a painstaking process at times. But in those moments, sigh...I see he's really getting it...and something we're saying or doing must be 'working' in spite of ourselves. I'm grateful God works in my kids' lives in spite of me. I can't wait to hear what his heart prays for tonight.
1 comment:
*reaching for a tissue...* Awesome! :o)
Post a Comment