Saturday, December 7, 2013

Jesus doesn't love you more for your home and health insurance plan

Crystal clear reality today that it does not matter what we eat, drink, or wear, or even if we have a home to live in...those things are not eternal. What matters is a person's soul, is their heart tied to Jesus, are they resting in the grace of Jesus, know He loves them dearly as his beloved. Helped feed 200 homeless people today with my two oldest children and what I walked away thinking about were these things. It's their soul I care about most. We feed their bodies, but it is the message of the saving grace of God and His love for them that matters most. Nothing else matters really. Nothing is eternal but that.

I've worked with the homeless before. I've done 'sidewalk' ministry, talked to people on the streets of Denver and countless conversations with homeless people in Austin over a six year period. In fact, today we drove past a man at a corner and I swear I recognized him from six years ago.

(Oh, and by the way, we ate before we got there. My kid asked if we were eating the chili too. I said no, this was for them, we were to eat before leaving and they wouldn't eat while we were there. We were there to serve them for two hours and not serve ourselves, that we'd get a snack afterwards once we left. So when you go out to serve, remember that. Don't go into a service project expecting special treatment or any kind of service to YOU for your kindness. Service is always about emptying yourself and denying yourself. It means sacrifice. Turn off your phone. Don't ask for your plate of food and don't expect someone to thank you. It's not about you. It's about the ones you serve. Period.)

It's easy to say many negative things about homeless people. Until you meet them. I began taking middle school students on homeless meal deliveries years ago. And today I took my kids with me and partnered with Thomas Wright Ministries in Austin, TX with the non-profit I work for, Passion Missions. This was the first time I saw so many homeless assembled together. They had worshiped as they do every Saturday at the North Door Club in east Austin. We had prepared plates and the kids and I were servers, ushering food along with other volunteers. While I've met with homeless people before and had long faith-conversations before and even prayed with homeless men and women, I've only gathered with at the most four at a time. Seeing close to 200 people gathered in worship, all homeless, and then served food with my children, I was struck by the following thoughts that shook my understanding of my 'role' in their life. Here are the questions and thoughts in no particular order.

1. It really doesn't matter if they have a home or not. You probably think I'm a nut saying this. Why would I say this. I mean, I have a home, and isn't it my Christian duty to help them find a home too? Isn't that what life is about? Having a home, being warm, having things and security and safety?

2. Who am I to think my way of life is better? Yes this thought surprised me too. The awesome aspect of the Thomas Wright Ministries that is unique is that his ministry knows how to help them get off the streets and into a stable living condition again. Thomas Wright knows how to reach them and motivate them. He knows because he was homeless once. He is unique because his ministry works to get them off the streets. So yes, it matters because we ought to provide options. But if a person has no motivation or just 'isn't at that place' yet to get off the street, who am I to judge them and condemn them and turn my back on them? Which leads me to my next thought.

3. Whether they live on the street or in a 1.5 million dollar home on Lake Travis, their soul has an eternal destination which doesn't discriminate on their living conditions in this earthly life.

4. Jesus said "If you confess with your mouth and believe in your heart that Jesus is Lord, you will be saved." He didn't say "If you have a job and pay for health insurance and buy your groceries at HEB and take a shower daily, pay taxes, and live in a shelter that is considered acceptable housing by the standards of American comforts, then you will be saved. In fact, most of the world lives in condition that any American would think is horrendous and unacceptable. Most of the world doesn't have health insurance. Many in the world don't take a bath daily. Many in the world are glad to have one meal a day. Many in the world pray the mosquitos don't give them malaria and that they won't die, orphaning their child to be taken into the child armies that exist outside the safety of America.

I'm not condoning the homeless lifestyle. I'm also not condemning it. Jesus spends a whole lotta time rebuking church leaders and I'm scratching my head right now trying to think of a scenario where he rebuked someone for begging. In fact, the stories I think of where he interacted with beggars, he is healing them. Even Peter told the beggars at the temple gate "Silver or gold I do not have, but what I do have I give you. In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, walk.” (Acts 3) What we see if Jesus, while concerned for physical needs, was always far more concerned as was Peter, with someone's soul, their heart, healing their spiritual brokenness. That's what he cared about.

I have been guilty of thinking as a Christian my job is to fix others and their messed-upness. I fall into this a LOT. I'm not proud of it, but I think it's how we're wired. We want to get others to look like us, act like us, live like us. It's really just one big control-freak show. You can look at our government and see this philosophy in our foreign policy. But that's for another day.

I would love to see every homeless person off the streets and homelessness eradicated. Who wouldn't? Do I think they work the system and know how to work the system. Well of course. Duh. I also don't think they love their lifestyle and are necessarily proud of it. In all my conversations over the years, I've met people with all kinds of stories, some which leave you scratching your head wondering how they ended up on the street and why don't they just get off the street. Is it my job to get them off the street? No, not at this point, I'm not called to do that. But I am called to feed the hungry. I am called to help those in need. I am called more importantly to show people what Jesus looks like with how I serve them. Do I do this well? Oh my gosh, no. Frankly I suck at it most days. Especially with my kids. In my own comfy home. I suck at showing them Jesus' love. Or for you former students of mind, I vacuum (since suck was a word I outlawed and replaced with vacuum).

But an event like today, that eye-opening needs to happen. That's why I dragged my kids there. They need it. It's our job to open their eyes to the needs of others and to protect them from cynicism and prejudice. It's our job to teach them that sharing the Gospel, showing Jesus through our actions, is their job too. It's our job to train them what Jesus with skin on looks like. They won't learn that from video games, secular music, and tv programs... and the media certainly doesn't want them to ever learn that.

If a person gets off the street and gets stable housing and develops a self-esteem so they can be a productive member of society (in the eyes of society), then that's awesome, God be praised!!!!! But if they know Jesus, God be praised and glorified even MORE! That is what matters. That. And truly nothing else. And I could argue now that Jesus is clear in his command to use the gifts and talents we have and not waste them, etc. And that the homeless are wasting their lives, etc. But here's the thing--those are matters of the work of the HOLY SPIRIT, not ME. Those are Holy Spirit matters--things that He works out with that person in their heart AFTER they've come to salvation and are seeking to know him. So you see, it's not as easy as you think, and it's pretty arrogant to see them as lazy fools that just need to get their act together and get help. Go spend some time with them. Listen to them. See them with the eyes of Jesus. Talk to them but listen more. Listen the way Jesus would. Think about how Jesus sees them. How Jesus' heart breaks for them. How Jesus wants to heal them, clothe them, feed them, but most of all, He wants to love them. And He wants their love back.

No comments: