I love fall and winter--I am one of those people that loves overcast days, rain, winds...maybe it's my nostalgia about living in Lubbock, the bundling up, going into my dorm room to get cozy while Di and I watched Sixteen Candles over and over. You have to love the smell of those older-than-an-oak-tree (just made that up, by the way) heaters that smell like something's burning (probably the cinder block walls it's pushed up against). I loved snow days in Lubbock too--I remember my first snow in the panhandle was in October 1994 and Di and I drove to Dumas, Texas for a wedding and we awakened to snow and drove back to Lubbock with snow flurries. I also remember the March of 1996 when the Panhandle was hit with a major early-spring blizzard on our way back to Georgetown for Easter. We found ourselves parked, cars turned off, on Hwy 84 between Slaton and Sweetwater, just totally gridlocked in traffic due to the snow storm. We sat there for two hours and I really had to use the facilities and the tumbleweeds on the side of the road didn't look so appealing for a port-a-potty! I think Kyle and Makenna enjoyed the wind on their faces and just like kids, they hardly noticed how much colder it was, but just loved being outside.
Wednesday, November 26, 2008
So Glad It's Getting Cooler!
I love fall and winter--I am one of those people that loves overcast days, rain, winds...maybe it's my nostalgia about living in Lubbock, the bundling up, going into my dorm room to get cozy while Di and I watched Sixteen Candles over and over. You have to love the smell of those older-than-an-oak-tree (just made that up, by the way) heaters that smell like something's burning (probably the cinder block walls it's pushed up against). I loved snow days in Lubbock too--I remember my first snow in the panhandle was in October 1994 and Di and I drove to Dumas, Texas for a wedding and we awakened to snow and drove back to Lubbock with snow flurries. I also remember the March of 1996 when the Panhandle was hit with a major early-spring blizzard on our way back to Georgetown for Easter. We found ourselves parked, cars turned off, on Hwy 84 between Slaton and Sweetwater, just totally gridlocked in traffic due to the snow storm. We sat there for two hours and I really had to use the facilities and the tumbleweeds on the side of the road didn't look so appealing for a port-a-potty! I think Kyle and Makenna enjoyed the wind on their faces and just like kids, they hardly noticed how much colder it was, but just loved being outside.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment