Sunday, March 1, 2009

My Little Praying Mantis

One of my terms of endearment for Kyle is bugaboo. Makenna is boo-boo. Sometimes I just call Kyle 'bug,' like 'ok, bug, it's time to go.' Yeah, maybe it sounds strange, but it's cute and he likes it. He knows it's just something I call him. I have also recently discovered he's my praying mantis.

We had our neighbor Mandi babysit the kids Friday night while we went to dinner with friends. When we came home, he had just gone down to bed recently and Mandi said that he did stay in his room (Kyle and I had a good talk about staying in his bed when Mandi put him to bed). He knew he'd get a dollar in his money cup (for shopping in my store) if he stayed in bed for her. She said though that she heard him talking in his room so she went to check on him. She asked him what was wrong. He told her, 'nothing. I'm just talking to God. I'm praying that Mommy and Daddy get home soon and safe.'

I was stunned. I had just been chatting with a friend about Kyle's prayers, how he prays for the lamps and the curtains and his trains and he does name friends too and last night he thanked Jesus for Easter. I loved that. So I was amazed that our little almost-4-year old is starting to pray on his own. I have told him before that when he can't sleep that he can just talk to Jesus becuase he's always with him and will always listen and help him fall asleep. I had no idea he truly was paying attention to what I was saying.

Now to just be a fly on the wall of the room of my little praying mantis...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bug. I love it. I have a stuffed animal I call Bug.
That is SO neat that he's prying for you and David to get home safe! and soon! Michelle, not only is he praying, he is evangelizing! Ministry is pouring out from his puckered little lips.
Listening and learing are both choices and he is taking advantage of the lessons you consistently teach. Way to go Michelle! I am so glad God gives us this encouragement so we have enough energy to keep working.

Love you!
t

Unknown said...

I agree!!!! If I didn't have that encouragement every now and then, well, it'd just be 'harder' to keep pressing on towards the goal to with the prize for which God has called me heavenware in Christ Jesus!