Friday, January 15, 2010

Umbrella Moments




I love seeing my kids show independence. I have never been the mommy who cries because her child doesn't notice when she leaves them at preschool. I've never been one to be upset if they get their own snack--I encourage it even. Every streak of independence for Kyle is a victory for us. Like right now, as I'm having some mommy-time in the peace and quiet of my room, I can hear the little popping sound of his Trouble game. He's playing Trouble alone. When you have a extrovert like Kyle, a child who is energized by interacting with people non-stop, it is beautiful to see them entertaining themselves alone. It's a huge mark of achievement. And I feel silly even commenting on this, but I just heard the sound of him in his bathroom and the toilet flushing. And inside, I'm rejoicing--he went alone.

Kyle will be 5 in March. It is amazing for him to go to the bathroom without announcing it to me. In these moments of big-boyness, I am just in awe. Many kids just do these things naturally. Makenna's acts of independence aren't even always noticed by me because she has always been this way. But I suppose I do notice them more because I also have a child who needs more encouragement and confidence to do things alone or at least without narrating it to the world around him. I can hardly blame him though. I also am an extrovert and love to narrate my life; hence the blog. So he's in good company with me. But I'll be sure not to announce to you all when I need to take a trip to the little girls' room. That might be a little bit TMI.

The pictures are from this morning when we were leaving for Hoppin Hippo, a bouncy place in Hutto. Kyle had his umbrella up and told Makenna she could walk under it with him to stay dry. If you notice, he has his left hand on her right shoulder, making sure she's in step with him to lead her to the car, keeping her dry. Those moments are precious.

There are MANY crazy moments here, wild even...moments that make me want to read more about animals who eat their young so I can have a mom to identify with! I worry too much about how they're treating each other, if everyone's happy, if everyone feels safe. So much pressure is just simply not good for the heart and soul. But Umbrella Moments are good. Just very good. I see then the gentleman emerging from Kyle, the kind of father and husband he could be. And I see Makenna, learning how a boy should treat a girl, with protection and leadership that is meant to keep her safe and comfortable.

I think I'll work on paying closer attention for Umbrella Moments.

No comments: