Friday, June 20, 2008

Dell Children's Must Be a Tradition

Well, if we were Aggies (how blasphemous!!!), our trip to Dell Children's would be a family tradition now. We've been three times in the last twelve months! We took Makenna in around 6 last night because I became super-concerned about how little liquids she had taken in for the last two days and her wet diapers were nowhere to be found. Good news is that she turned out not to be dehydrated--yahoo!--not even close--and tested negative for a UTI (done as a precaution). I also feel educated now about dehydration and how to look for it and what to expect with a child with a stomach virus, how to manage drink intake, how to handle it when it drags on so long. I'm sure other parents are in-the-know, but this weeklong viral stuff is new to me.

So we started really forcing her liquids via syringe and after 2 days now of a dietary supplement to heal her tummy, she has eaten VERY WELL today--more true-to-Makenna form! And has been drinking her pedialyte/gatorade combo on her own. She and I just played in her room for about an hour and she was as happy as a clam but is back down for another nap. I am so glad this is finally running its course.

Our doctor at Dell last night was the same doctor we saw there when Makenna was a week old, when we took her in for a super-swollen eye, turning out to be conjunctivitis. So we almost made it to the anniversary of her first trip to the ER. And hopefully she will be fully recovered by her first birthday which is next Sunday, June 29. We love Dell Children's Hospital--but we've been three times in the last 12 months! (Once for Kyle in November when he were not able to control the wheezing).

All is better in our home now and it has been so good to see Makenna getting back to herself today. I'm about to wake Kyle up from his nap so we should have some good playtime alone too.

No comments: